One Hundred Sixth Congress of the United States of America
Making consolidated appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2001, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
* * *
APPENDIX B--H.R. 5657
That the following sums are appropriated, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, for the Legislative Branch for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2001, and for other purposes, namely:
* * *
TITLE III--GENERAL PROVISIONS
* * *
Sec. 310. Russian Leadership Program. Section 3011 of the 1999 Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act (Public Law 106-31; 113 Stat. 93) is amended--
by striking "fiscal years 1999 and 2000'' in subsections (a)(1), (b)(4)(B), (d)(3), and (h)(1)(A) and inserting "fiscal years 2000 and 2001''; and
by striking "2001'' in subsection (a)(2), (e)(1), and (h)(1)(B) and inserting "2002''.
* * *
Sec. 313. Center for Russian Leadership Development.
- In general.--There is established in the legislative branch of the Government a center to be known as the "Center for Russian Leadership Development'' (the "Center'').
- Board of trustees.--The Center shall be subject to the supervision and direction of a Board of Trustees which shall be composed of nine members as follows:
- Two members appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, one of whom shall be designated by the Majority Leader of the House of Representatives and one of whom shall be designated by the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives.
- Two members appointed by the President pro tempore of the Senate, one of whom shall be designated by the Majority Leader of the Senate and one of whom shall be designated by the Minority Leader of the Senate.
- The Librarian of Congress.
- Four private individuals with interests in improving United States and Russian relations, designated by the Librarian of Congress. Each member appointed under this paragraph shall serve for a term of 3 years. Any vacancy shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment and the individual so appointed shall serve for the remainder of the term. Members of the Board shall serve without pay, but shall be entitled to reimbursement for travel, subsistence, and other necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
- Purpose and Authority of the Center.--
- Purpose.--The purpose of the Center is to establish, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (2), a program to enable emerging political leaders of Russia at all levels of government to gain significant, firsthand exposure to the American free market economic system and the operation of American democratic institutions through visits to governments and communities at comparable levels in the United States.
- Grant program.--Subject to the provisions of paragraphs (3) and (4), the Center shall establish a program under which the Center annually awards grants to government or community organizations in the United States that seek to establish programs under which those organizations will host Russian nationals who are emerging political leaders at any level of government.
- Duration.--The period of stay in the United States for any individual supported with grant funds under the program shall not exceed 30 days.
- Limitation.--The number of individuals supported with grant funds under the program shall not exceed 3,000 in any fiscal year.
- Use of funds.--Grant funds under the program shall be used to pay--
- the costs and expenses incurred by each program participant in traveling between Russia and the United States and in traveling within the United States;
- the costs of providing lodging in the United States to each program participant, whether in public accommodations or in private homes; and
- such additional administrative expenses incurred by organizations in carrying out the program as the Center may prescribe.
- In general.--Each organization in the United States desiring a grant under this section shall submit an application to the Center at such time, in such manner, and accompanied by such information as the Center may reasonably require.
- Contents.--Each application submitted pursuant to subparagraph (A) shall--
- describe the activities for which assistance under this section is sought;
- include the number of program participants to be supported;
- describe the qualifications of the individuals who will be participating in the program; and
- provide such additional assurances as the Center determines to be essential to ensure compliance with the requirements of this section.
- Establishment of Fund.--
- In general.--There is established in the Treasury of the United States a trust fund to be known as the "Russian Leadership Development Center Trust Fund'' (the "Fund'') which shall consist of amounts which may be appropriated, credited, or transferred to it under this section.
- Donations.--Any money or other property donated, bequeathed, or devised to the Center under the authority of this section shall be credited to the Fund.
- Fund management.--
- In general.--The provisions of subsections (b), (c), and (d) of section 116 of the Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 1989 (2 U.S.C. 1105 (b), (c), and (d)), and the provisions of section 117(b) of such Act (2 U.S.C. 1106(b)),
- Expenditures.--The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to pay to the Center from amounts in the Fund such sums as the Board of Trustees of the Center determines are necessary and appropriate to enable the Center to carry out the provisions of this section.
- Executive Director.--The Board shall appoint an Executive Director who shall be the chief executive officer of the Center and who shall carry out the functions of the Center subject to the supervision and direction of the Board of Trustees. The Executive Director of the Center shall be compensated at the annual rate specified by the Board, but in no event shall such rate exceed level III of the Executive Schedule under section 5314 of title 5, United States Code.
- Administrative Provisions.--
- In general.--The provisions of section 119 of the Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 1989 (2 U.S.C. 1108) shall apply to the Center.
- Support provided by library of congress.--The Library of Congress may disburse funds appropriated to the Center, compute and disburse the basic pay for all personnel of the Center, provide administrative, legal, financial management, and other appropriate services to the Center, and collect from the Fund the full costs of providing services under this paragraph, as provided under an agreement for services ordered under sections 1535 and 1536 of title 31, United States Code.
- Authorization of Appropriations.--There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be necessary to carry out this section.
- Transfer of Funds.--Any amounts appropriated for use in the program established under section 3011 of the 1999 Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act (Public Law 106-31; 113 Stat. 93) shall be transferred to the Fund and shall remain available without fiscal year limitation.
- Effective Dates.--
- In general.--This section shall take effect on the date of enactment of this Act.
- Transfer.--Subsection (g) shall only apply to amounts which remain unexpended on and after the date the Board of Trustees of the Center certifies to the Librarian of Congress that grants are ready to be made under the program established under this section.